Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sitting in Seattle.

I have a few hours before I leave for Paris and then from there I will get a flight to Copenhagen, where I will arrive tomorrow. I'm starting to get really excited about attending the COP15 and feel really blessed that I was chosen for this amazing opportunity. The Environmental Studies Department was so generous to fund both Melissa and myself to attend this unprecedented conference. I have also gotten a lot of support from various environmental studies professors, climate change studies professors and  other people working in the field. Everyone has helped me gain the tools and knowledge that I need to move forward and tackle this issue. This is an amazing opportunity not only for me, but for everyone at UM and in Montana and I hope that I will be a good representative.

I have been working on climate change issues for a while, I'll give you a quick snap shot on what I have been involved with. It all began in 2007 when I dressed as a polar bear for the Step It Up rally in Minneapolis. Since then I have worked with University of Montana's Climate Action Now student group. UMCAN has done many activities including Powershift 09 in Washington DC, Green Griz basketball game, Regional Powershift in Eugene Oregon, Recycling Awareness events, and much much more. This last semester I worked with a few other students to host a 350 event on campus, which was part of the International Climate Day of Action. To learn more about what I have done and what UM has done read my guest article on NewWest here

Feel free to post or email me comments and questions while I am in Copenhagen. You can email me at yaicha.bookhout@umontana.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment